On the 26th July, 1728 a storm hit Dublin. In his “Diary of the Weather and Winds” Robert Corbet noted: “the Storm Continued to the 27 at Even: in the Morning of that Day it blew down the Cock of the Tholsel, several chimneys, and houses were stript”
During the medieval period a number of “Thosels” were built in Ireland. The name “Thosel” is supposedly derived from two Early Modern English words “Toll” and “Sael” meaning Tax Hall. Whatever the initial function of the buildings they took on more generic civic roles over the years; courthouse, market place, guild hall to name a few.
James Malton “Tholsel. June 1793”The Thosel in Dublin was nearing the end of it’s life when Malton did his print. The storm mentioned by Corbet in 1728 was only part of the deterioration of the building with the tower having been removed on safety grounds and the building was falling into neglect. Much of the purpose of the Thosel was also gone; the courts had their fine new building on the banks of the Liffey and the civic and merchant business had moved down the road to the new Royal Exchange built in 1779.
In 1820 the building was torn down and today the site is the Dublin Peace Park. Some of the Thosel can still be viewed however. Across the road from where it stood, in the crypt of Christchurch, you can find the Royal Coat of Arms and statues from the building.
Peace Park, 2013