“Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied”
Otto von Bismarck, Chancellor of Germany
In March 2002, Cinescape.com pointed out the striking similarities between the Jedi Archives in the Star Wars film “Episode II: Attack of the Clones” and the Long Hall Library in Trinity College. So striking it resulted in Trinity College considering court proceedings with George Lucas responding by saying “it is totally untrue that there is any connection between the scene in Attack of the Clones and Trinity College”.
You don’t need to see any conflicting identification.
These aren’t the books your looking for.
Now. Where were we?
A long long time ago …
Upon the foundation of the college one of it enduring policies has been the importance it has placed on it’s libraries. One of the libraries early champions was Archbishop James Ussher and it was his nephew, Vice Chancellor of Trinity College and Bishop of Meath Henry Jones, who in 1661 would bequeath to the library his uncles collection of books – the Ussher Collection – as well as the libraries most prized book; the Book of Kells.
Malton’s “College Library, July 1793”The 18th century saw the need for a new dedicated library building and between 1712 and 1732 the Thomas Burgh designed library was built. The Long Room was well over 200ft in length. Maltons print shows the building as it was in 1793 with it flat plaster ceiling and the books on a single level. However between 1858 and 1860 Benjamin Woodward and Sir Thomas Newenham Deane modified the library by adding a second floor; achieved by replacing the roof with a higher mansard roof. This allowed the library to expand it’s collection to over 200,000 books. Today amongst it’s collection it includes one of the few remaining copies of the 1916 Proclamation of the Irish Republic and a 15th century harp, the oldest of it’s kind. The harp is the model used for both the emblem of Ireland and, facing the opposite direction, the Guinness Harp.